Superhero Run 2013
September 15, 2013 / 7:00 am (registration); 8:00 am (race begins)
Tower Grove Park / Sons of Rest Shelter
Click here to view race results (click to the right of under "events" to view list of results)
CHADS would like to thank The Adair Group for their recent charitable donation of five dozen T-shirts. We appreciate their generosity. Learn more about The Adair Group.
Dress as your favorite superhero for either a 5K or 10K run or a 1 mile walk. There will be superhero music, food, drinks, attendance prizes, prizes for the best costumes and fun for all! Early registration by September 8 is $25. Registration after September 8 is $30. Walk in registration is welcome and opens at 7 am the day of the event. By participating you are helping to support CHADS as well as staying healthy (mentally and physically). Proceeds benefit bullying and suicide prevention.
Now, why a superhero theme? This is your chance to be a superhero for a cause you care about. By participating or volunteering or supporting mental health in any way, you are our superhero! Also, if you or someone you know has ever gone through any type or mental health or bullying related issues, you know things can be tough. As someone who has struggled or as the person who has helped a friend or a family member, you are a true superhero. You have superhero strength and need to show that off! Get creative with your costumes!
In honor of our superhero theme here is a link to an article titled "Every Child a Superhero." The article gives 20 suggestions on how to unleash your child's inner superhero. (Works for adults too!)
FAQ for the CHADS 5K/10K Run and 1 Mile Walk
- How do I register on line? It is easy and no additional fees to sign up online. Click here. Sign up as an individual or a team.
- Can we register the day of the Race? Absolutely, registration opens at 7 am. You can pay with cash, check or charge!
- Can I form a team? You bet, the more the merrier!
- Is this a stroller friendly course? Yes it is a stroller friendly course for both the walk and the run.
- Can we bring our dogs in the run? They are welcome to participate in the walk only, NOT in the 5K/10K run. We will have some special treats for them too!
- What are the age categories? 14 and under, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60 and over.
- How are the awards determined? First place finishers in each category will receive a fresh baked pie.
- Will costumes be judged? Yes, there are prizes for the best youth and adult costume. AND dogs can dress up too; there will be a prize for the best dressed dog!
- What do I get for registering, beside running or walking in the event? You will get a shirt if registered by Sept 8th. Also a complimentary assortment of homemade snacks, fruits to munch and refreshing drinks will be available.
- Will I get a shirt if I register that day? Only if we happen to have extras, no guarantee
- Is this an officially marked course? It is an official 5K/10K as measured by MO Running Co.
- Where in Tower Grove Park is the “Sons of Rest Shelter”? It is the shelter in Tower Grove Park that is close to the Grand entrance.
- Who will MC the event? Tom Ackerman from Y98 will be our MC with the St. Louis Superhero Fredbird himself to cheer on the crowd, along with several other surprise superheroes to work the crowd and possibly run in the Race!
- Since this is a “Superhero” Themed Walk/Run, may we dress up as our favorite Super Hero? You bet! We encourage participants to dress up.
- What do the proceeds from this event support? Your donation will support bullying prevention and suicide prevention in the St Louis Metro area.
- How doable is it to train for this event if I never ran in a 5K before? It is never too late to train for a 5K regardless of your age, of course with your doctor’s approval. Google “from Couch to the 5K” to get a free training program to help you train. Allow about 10 weeks for a very doable training program. You can do it!
- May I request a memorial for my loved one that died by suicide? We would be honored to have a memorial at the Superhero Run for your loved one that died by suicide. If you have previously sent CHADS a photo of your loved one, email Joan at joan(at)chadscoalition.org to verify we have the photo. If it is a new memorial for CHADS, please send an electronic copy of the photo and any questions to Joan along with their name, BD and death date.