Why is our mission important?
• Over 90% of all completed suicides are associated with mental illness; depression is associated with 60% of all completed suicides.
• It is estimated that up to 25% of adolescents will experience depression, more than 2/3 of these individuals will never receive help in a given year.
• More children die from suicide in the 15-19 age group than from the top 6 medical causes of death combined.
• Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death for the 10-14 age group, and the 2nd for ages 15-34.
• For every completed suicide in the 15-24 age group, about 900 attempts are made.
• Based on the 2011 Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance Survey, 7.8% of students in grades 9 through 12 reported attempting suicide in the past year.
• 28.5% of students nationwide reported feeling so sad or hopeless almost every day for two or more weeks in a row that they stopped doing some of their usual activities.
• Half of all lifelong mental illnesses begin before age 14.
• 80% of all youth with mental illness are not identified and do not receive any mental health services.
• About 30 youth ages 15-24 die by suicide every year in the St. Louis Metro area.
• About 100 youth ages 15-24 die by suicide every year in Missouri.
• About 24 youth ages 15-24 die by suicide every year in Kansas City Metro area.